The Fuqua School of Business, Duke University
Last updated on November 26th, 2018
The Fuqua School of Business, Duke University currently ranks 6th among the top B-schools.
Founded in 1969, The Fuqua School of Business has a variety of MBA programs to choose from and has an overall in-take of around 1340 students. The B-school has around 6 research centres which focus on areas such as Innovation, Leadership, and Social Entrepreneurship.
The B-school has some notable alumni like Melinda Gates and Tim Cook of the Apple fame.
- Facts and Figures
|Program Duration||22 Months|
|Average GMAT Score||696|
|Average Work Experience||5 Years|
- Recruitment at The Fuqua School of Business
Consulting tops the list in terms of salary and numbers recruited. Fuqua graduates are a hit with the following companies:
|Johnson & Johnson|
|Wells Fargo Securities|
|Procter & Gamble|
|The Coca-Cola Company|
- Apply to The Fuqua School of Business
The deadlines for the 2020 admissions at Fuqua have been announced. Mark your calendars for these dates:
Early Action – September 19th, 2019
2 months, 14 days, 23 hours, 1 minute ago
Round 1 – October 14th, 2019
1 month, 16 days, 23 hours, 1 minute ago
Round 2 – January 6th, 2020
in 1 month, 6 days, 0 hours, 58 minutes
Round 3 – March 11th, 2020
in 3 months, 23 days, 0 hours, 58 minutes
Essay Topics 2019-20
“Leadership, teamwork, ethics, and a global approach to business are essential elements of the Duke Fuqua MBA, which is why you’ll need to make sure you express your passion for these ideas in your application essays. Impress the Fuqua adcom by positioning yourself as an innovative leader and team player, as someone who can see the big picture, work collaboratively, and shape global business.”
Required Short Answers Questions:
Instructions: Answer all 3 of the following questions. For each question, respond in 500 characters only (the equivalent of about 100 words).
- 1. What are your short-term goals, post-MBA?
- 2. What are your long-term goals?
- 3. Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the short-term goals that you provided above not materialize what alternative directions have you considered?
First Required Essay: 25 Random Things About Yourself
Instructions: Present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages.
- The “Team Fuqua” spirit and community is one of the things that sets The Duke MBA experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of “25 Random Things About Yourself.” As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire’s professional and academic background, so learning these “25 Random Things” helps us get to know someone’s personality, background, special talents, and more.
In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you–beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are. Share with us your list of “25 Random Things” about YOU.
Second Required Essay:
Instructions: Your response should be no more than 2 pages in length.
Fuqua prides itself on cultivating a culture of engagement. Our students enjoy a wide range of student-led organizations that provide opportunities for leadership development and personal fulfillment, as well as an outlet for contributing to society. Our student-led government, clubs, centers, and events are an integral part of the student culture and are vital to providing you with a range of experiential learning and individual development experiences.
Based on your understanding of the Fuqua culture, how do you see yourself engaging in and contributing to our community, outside of the classroom?
If you feel there are circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware, please explain them in an optional essay (such as unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance).
• Do NOT upload additional essays nor additional recommendations in this area of the application.
• The Optional Essay is intended to provide the Admissions Committee with insight into your extenuating circumstances only.
• Limit your response to two pages.
- How to Tackle This Essay
Watch this space for the comprehensive essay analysis coming to you shortly. Till then, here are some tips:
- Sit down and introspect on what are the key messages about yourself you want Fuqua to know
- Note them down, mull over them and discuss them with friends or family who know you very well
- Examine your other submissions—resume, recommendations, transcripts etc.—and identify what is missing in these
- Pick those points that you cannot convey well enough through these and write the essay using them
- Before submitting, make sure that no ideas are repeated
Need help with picking out the right B-school? Just drop us a line at