Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Each year red-winged blackbirds stop in a certain region of Midland Province on their spring and fall migrations. In the fall, they eat a significant portion of the province’s sunflower crop. This year Midland farmers sought permits to set out small amounts of poisoned rice during the blackbirds’ spring stop in order to reduce the fall blackbird population. Some residents voiced concern that the rice could threaten certain species of rare migratory birds. Nevertheless, the wildlife agency approved the permits.
Which of the following, if true, most helps to justify the wildlife agency’s approval of the permits, given the concerns voiced by some residents?
In the region where the red-winged blackbirds stop, they are the first birds to be present in the spring.
The poison that farmers want to use does not kill birds but rather makes them incapable of producing viable eggs.
Since rice is not raised in Midland Province, few species of birds native to the province normally eat rice.
Without the permit, any farmers shown to have set out poison for the blackbirds would be heavily fined.
The poison that farmers got approval to use has no taste or smell that would make it detectable by birds.
Option A is the correct answer.
Question type: Resolve the paradox.
Summary of the argument: There is a clear controversy in the argument. Despite the fact that the poisonous rice could affect the rare birds, the wildlife agency approved the permits.
A) Correct Answer. This means that the other birds will not be affected.
B) This also doesn’t tell why the permit is okay to have. It would still affect the population of the birds.
C) Doesn’t bridge the controversy.
D) Not worried about the fine that the farmers need to pay.
E) Doesn’t say why the same was permitted.
- People with a certain eye disorder are virtually unable to see in moderately bright light, which seems to them unbearably intense since..
- The first commercially successful drama to depict Black family life sympathetically and the first play by a Black woman to be…
- Certain politicians in the country of Birangi argue that a 50 percent tax on new automobiles..
- Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by overcutting trees and farming too intensively…
- Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search for the genuine and the delicious in Florentine…