Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is currently just large enough to satisfy domestic demand. Teruvia’s total rice acreage will not be expanded in the foreseeable future, nor will rice yields per acre increase appreciably. Teruvia’s population, however, will be increasing significantly for years to come. Clearly, therefore, Teruvia will soon have to begin importing rice.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
No pronounced trend of decreasing per capita demand for rice is imminent in Teruvia.
Not all of the acreage in Teruvia currently planted with rice is well suited to the cultivation of rice.
None of the strains of rice grown in Teruvia are exceptionally high-yielding.
There are no populated regions in Teruvia in which the population will not increase.
There are no major crops other than rice for which domestic production and domestic demand are currently in balance in Teruvia.
Option A is the right answer.
Question type: Find the Assumption
Summary of the argument: The conclusion of the argument is that Teruvia will have to start importing rice because the acreage will not increase nor will the yield increase. Hence the assumption is that the current demand will continue to remain constant.
A) Correct Answer
B) We do not know how much of the acreage is planted with rice.
C) Some of the strains could be high yielding but the assumption is that with the existing acreage the import must be done.
D) Population increasing or decreasing does not validate the fact that import must happen.
E) We are not worried about other crops.
- Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled…
- From 1980 to 1989, total consumption of fish in the country of Jurania increased by 4.5 percent, and total consumption of poultry products there increased by 9.0 percent..
- Three large companies and seven small companies currently manufacture a product with potential military applications..
- According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American…
- Editorial in Krenlandian Newspaper: Krenland’s steelmakers are losing domestic sales because of lower-priced imports..