Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
In Teruvia, the quantity of rice produced per year is currently just large enough to satisfy domestic demand. Teruvia’s total rice acreage will not be expanded in the foreseeable future, nor will rice yields per acre increase appreciably. Teruvia’s population, however, will be increasing significantly for years to come. Clearly, therefore, Teruvia will soon have to begin importing rice.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
No pronounced trend of decreasing per capita demand for rice is imminent in Teruvia.
Not all of the acreage in Teruvia currently planted with rice is well suited to the cultivation of rice.
None of the strains of rice grown in Teruvia are exceptionally high-yielding.
There are no populated regions in Teruvia in which the population will not increase.
There are no major crops other than rice for which domestic production and domestic demand are currently in balance in Teruvia.
Option A is the right answer.
Question type: Find the Assumption
Summary of the argument: The conclusion of the argument is that Teruvia will have to start importing rice because the acreage will not increase nor will the yield increase. Hence the assumption is that the current demand will continue to remain constant.
A) Correct Answer
B) We do not know how much of the acreage is planted with rice.
C) Some of the strains could be high yielding but the assumption is that with the existing acreage the import must be done.
D) Population increasing or decreasing does not validate the fact that import must happen.
E) We are not worried about other crops.
- In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico, leaking its cargo…
- In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from the territorial waters of the country of Belukia. Soon after…
- Certain politicians in the country of Birangi argue that a 50 percent tax on new automobiles..
- Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland…
- The violent crime rate (number of violent crimes per 1,000 residents) in Meadowbrook is 60 percent higher now than it was four years ago….