Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from the territorial waters of the country of Belukia. Soon after, the annual tonnage of lobster legally harvested in Belukian waters began declining; in 1996, despite there being no reduction in the level of legal lobster fishing activity, the local catch was 9,000 tons below pre-1992 levels. It is therefore highly likely that the outlaw fishing boats harvested about 9,000 tons of lobster illegally that year.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
The illegal lobster harvesting was not so extensive that the population of catchable lobsters in Belukia’s territorial waters had sharply declined by 1996.
The average annual lobster catch, in tons, of an outlaw fishing boat has increased steadily since 1992.
Outlaw fishing boats do not, as a group, harvest more lobsters than do licensed lobster-fishing boats.
The annual legal lobster harvest in Belukia in 1996 was not significantly less than 9,000 tons.
A significant proportion of Belukia’s operators of licensed lobster-fishing boats went out of business between 1992 and 1996.
Option A is the right answer.
Question type: Find the Assumption.
Summary of the argument: Since the legally harvested lobster declined by 9000 tons, the argument assumes that they were harvested illegally.
A) Correct Answer
B) This doesn’t account to the 9000 tons of fish being captured.
C) This also doesn’t account to the 9000 tons of fish being captured.
D) This option doesn’t talk about the illegal harvesting of lobster.
E) Again, this option doesn’t talk about the tonnage of lobster being captured.
- Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled…
- Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered numerous detailed mosaics depicting several…
- From 1980 to 1989, total consumption of fish in the country of Jurania increased by 4.5 percent, and total consumption of poultry products there increased by 9.0 percent..
- A new commercial radio station in Greenfield plans to play songs that were popular hits fifteen to…
- Many entomologists say that campaigns to eradicate the fire ant in the United States have failed because the chemicals that…