Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—less than those killed by bee stings.
movies—less than those
movies—fewer than have been
movies, which is less than those
movies, a number lower than the people
movies, fewer than the ones
Option B is the correct answer.
Concept tested: Comparison, Parallelism
A) Inappropriate usage of the word “less”. We are talking about the “number” of people and hence “less” cannot be used.
B) Correct Answer.
C) Same as A. Inappropriate usage of the word “which”
D) The phrase “A number lower…” is meaningless. “A number” cannot be “lower” than the people.
E) Not parallel. The non-underlined part of the sentence uses “…have been killed…” and hence the same construction must exist in the underlined portion as well.
- Certain politicians in the country of Birangi argue that a 50 percent tax on new automobiles..
- Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made…
- The Earth’s rivers constantly carry dissolved salts into its oceans. Clearly, therefore, by taking…
- In California today, Hispanics under the age of eighteen account for more than 43 percent, compared with a decade ago, when it…
- A Swiss government panel recommended that the country sell about half its gold reserves and this…