Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—less than those killed by bee stings.
movies—less than those
movies—fewer than have been
movies, which is less than those
movies, a number lower than the people
movies, fewer than the ones
Option B is the correct answer.
Concept tested: Comparison, Parallelism
A) Inappropriate usage of the word “less”. We are talking about the “number” of people and hence “less” cannot be used.
B) Correct Answer.
C) Same as A. Inappropriate usage of the word “which”
D) The phrase “A number lower…” is meaningless. “A number” cannot be “lower” than the people.
E) Not parallel. The non-underlined part of the sentence uses “…have been killed…” and hence the same construction must exist in the underlined portion as well.
- The first commercially successful drama to depict Black family life sympathetically and the first play by a Black woman to be…
- FastMart, a convenience store chain, is planning to add pancake syrup to the items it sells..
- Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was used by a French…
- People who have spent a lot of time in contact with animals often develop animal-induced allergies, some of them quite serious…
- Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which carried sufficient power in fuel cells and…