Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—less than those killed by bee stings.
movies—less than those
movies—fewer than have been
movies, which is less than those
movies, a number lower than the people
movies, fewer than the ones
Option B is the correct answer.
Concept tested: Comparison, Parallelism
A) Inappropriate usage of the word “less”. We are talking about the “number” of people and hence “less” cannot be used.
B) Correct Answer.
C) Same as A. Inappropriate usage of the word “which”
D) The phrase “A number lower…” is meaningless. “A number” cannot be “lower” than the people.
E) Not parallel. The non-underlined part of the sentence uses “…have been killed…” and hence the same construction must exist in the underlined portion as well.
- Three large companies and seven small companies currently manufacture a product with potential military applications..
- Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are…
- After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is being tested that…
- Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape…
- According to a widely held economic hypothesis, imposing strict environmental regulations reduces…