Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—less than those killed by bee stings.
movies—less than those
movies—fewer than have been
movies, which is less than those
movies, a number lower than the people
movies, fewer than the ones
Option B is the correct answer.
Concept tested: Comparison, Parallelism
A) Inappropriate usage of the word “less”. We are talking about the “number” of people and hence “less” cannot be used.
B) Correct Answer.
C) Same as A. Inappropriate usage of the word “which”
D) The phrase “A number lower…” is meaningless. “A number” cannot be “lower” than the people.
E) Not parallel. The non-underlined part of the sentence uses “…have been killed…” and hence the same construction must exist in the underlined portion as well.
- Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and…
- Despite the growing number of people who purchase plane tickets online, airline executives are…
- In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico, leaking its cargo…
- A new commercial radio station in Greenfield plans to play songs that were popular hits fifteen to…
- In an effort to reduce the number of fires started by cigarettes, a major tobacco company is test- marketing a…