Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?
A new machine for harvesting corn will allow rows to be planted only fifteen inches apart, instead of the usual thirty inches. Corn planted this closely will produce lower yields per plant. Nevertheless, the new machine will allow corn growers to double their profits per acre because
with the closer spacing of the rows, the growing corn plants will quickly form a dense canopy of leaves, which will, by shading the ground, minimize the need for costly weed control and irrigation
with the closer spacing of the rows, corn plants will be forced to grow taller because of increased competition for sunlight from neighboring corn plants
with the larger number of plants growing per acre, more fertilizer will be required
with the spacing between rows cut by half, the number of plants grown per acre will almost double
with the closer spacing of the rows, the acreage on which corn is planted will be utilized much more intensively than it was before, requiring more frequent fallow years in which corn fields are left unplanted
Option A is the correct answer.
Question type : Inference based question.
Summary of the argument: The argument concludes that the new method will increase the profits per acre despite the low yield as the corn is planted closer than is usual.
A) Correct Answer
B) Growing taller is not related to higher or lower profits.
C) More fertilizer means more cost and hence lesser profits.
D) This doesn’t talk about the profits.
E) We are worried about profits and not the number of fallow years
- There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock, on the size of monkfish that can…
- The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year-round, and a group of…
- Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising…
- Soaring television costs accounted for more than half the spending in the presidential campaign of 1992, a greater proportion than it was in any previous election.
- FastMart, a convenience store chain, is planning to add pancake syrup to the items it sells..