Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies by the Greek playwright Euripides. Of these, ten called the “select plays,” are accompanied in L by ancient commentaries and also appear in other medieval manuscripts; this group includes some of Euripides’ best-known works, including the Medea. The other eight, which appear in alphabetical order, without commentary. The Electra is one of the alphabetical.
Which of the following can be reliably concluded on the basis of the Statements given?
Only Euripides’ best-known works are accompanied by ancient commentaries in extant medieval manuscripts.
The select plays are accompanied by ancient commentaries because they were the best known of Euripides’ works.
No commentaries were written about Euripides’ Electra in ancient times.
Euripides’ Medea never appears in medieval manuscripts unaccompanied by ancient commentary.
Euripides’ Electra does not appear accompanied by a commentary in any extant medieval manuscript.
Option E is the correct answer.
Question type: Inference based question
Summary of the argument: Since this is an inference question, it is best to go to the options and find an option 100% true based on the facts that are given in the argument.
A) The one with commentaries includes the best-known works. But ONLY the best-known works are not with commentaries. This is an extreme answer choice.
B) The commentaries were NOT because they were the best work.
C) We don’t know whether the commentaries were written.
D) Extreme answer choices.
E) Correct Answer
- In one state, all cities and most towns have antismoking ordinances. A petition entitled “Petition for Statewide Smoking Restriction” is…
- Mel: The official salary for judges has always been too low to attract the best Candidates to the job. The legislature’s move to raise…
- At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation…
- Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape…
- Certain politicians in the country of Birangi argue that a 50 percent tax on new automobiles..