Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
In one state, all cities and most towns have antismoking ordinances. A petition entitled “Petition for Statewide Smoking Restriction” is being circulated to voters by campaign workers who ask only, “Do you want to sign a petition for statewide smoking restriction?” The petition advocates a state law banning smoking in most retail establishments and in government offices that are open to the public.
Which of the following circumstances would make the petition as circulated misleading to voters who understand the proposal as extending the local ordinances statewide?
Health costs associated with smoking cause health insurance premiums to rise for everyone and so affect nonsmokers.
In rural areas of the state, there are relatively few retail establishments and government offices that are open to the public.
The state law would supersede the local antismoking ordinances, which contain stronger bans than the state law does.
There is a considerable sentiment among voters in most areas of the state for restriction of smoking.
The state law would not affect existing local ordinances banning smoking in places where the fire authorities have determined that smoking would constitute a fire hazard.
Option C is the correct answer.
Question type: Weaken the argument
Summary of the argument: According to the argument, there is a petition that is being circulated that bans people from smoking in almost all retail establishments. We now need to find an answer choice that would make this misleading.
A) This option talks about insurance and hence is not related to the logic of the argument
B) This wouldn’t mislead the petition as irrespective of the number of retail establishments the ban would still hold good.
C) Correct Answer
D) The sentiment is not what is discussed in the passage.
E) This option strengthens the argument by saying that there would be no effect.
- Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape…
- After more than four decades of research and development, a new type of jet engine is being tested that…
- Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially fatal; consequently, patients with symptoms strongly suggesting appendicitis almost have their…
- People with a certain eye disorder are virtually unable to see in moderately bright light, which seems to them unbearably intense since..
- That the application of new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia’s coal industry. Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.