Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
The violent crime rate (number of violent crimes per 1,000 residents) in Meadowbrook is 60 percent higher now than it was four years ago. The corresponding increase for Parkdale is only 10 percent. These figures support the conclusion that residents of Meadowbrook are more likely to become victims of violent crime than are residents of Parkdale.
The argument above is flawed because it fails to take into account
changes in the population density of both Parkdale and Meadowbrook over the past four years
how the rate of population growth in Meadowbrook over the past four years compares to the corresponding rate for Parkdale
the ratio of violent to nonviolent crimes committed during the past four years in Meadowbrook and Parkdale
the violent crime rates in Meadowbrook and Parkdale four years ago
how Meadowbrook’s expenditures for crime prevention over the past four years compare to Parkdale’s expenditures.
Option D is the correct answer.
Question type: Flaw
Summary of the argument: Meadowbrook’s crime rate is increasing at a higher rate than is for Parkdale. Hence residents of Meadowbrook are more likely to become criminals that residents of Parkdale are.
A) Population density is the number of people living per unit area. This doesn’t affect the crime rate nor does it explain the increase or the projection.
B) Population growth doesn’t correspond to the increase in violent crime rate.
C) The ration doesn’t attribute to violent crime rates.
D) Correct Answer
E) We are not worried about the expenditure.
- In one state, all cities and most towns have antismoking ordinances. A petition entitled “Petition for Statewide Smoking Restriction” is…
- Each year red-winged blackbirds stop in a certain region of Midland Province on…
- From 1980 to 1989, total consumption of fish in the country of Jurania increased by 4.5 percent, and total consumption of poultry products there increased by 9.0 percent..
- Mel: The official salary for judges has always been too low to attract the best Candidates to the job. The legislature’s move to raise…
- During her presidency of the short-lived Woman’s State Temperance Society (1852-1853)..