Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
In polluted environments, dolphins gradually accumulated toxins in their body fat, and the larger the dolphin the more accumulated toxin it can tolerate. Nearly 80 percent of the toxins a female dolphin has accumulated pass into the fat-rich milk her nursing calf ingests. Therefore, the unusually high mortality rate among dolphin calves in the industrially contaminated waters along Florida’s Gulf Coast is probably the result of their being poisoned by their mother’s milk.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?
The survival rate of firstborn dolphin calves in the area along Florida’s Gulf Coast is highest for those whose mothers were killed before they were weaned.
The rate at which adult dolphins living in the waters along Florida’s Gulf Coast accumulate toxins is no higher than that of adult dolphins in comparably polluted waters elsewhere.
Among dolphin calves born in the area along Florida’s Gulf Coast, the mortality rate is highest among those with living siblings.
As dolphins age, they accumulate toxins from the environment more slowly than when they were young.
Dolphins, like other marine mammals, have a higher proportion of body fat than do most land mammals.
Option A is the correct answer.
Question type: Strengthen the argument
Summary of the argument: The argument goes onto conclude that high mortality rate of the dolphin calves is due to the poisonous milk that these calves drank from their mother.
A) Correct Answer
B) We are not worried about dolphins living elsewhere as the argument is about the dolphins living only in Florida.
C) This does not relate the mortality rate to siblings.
D) This option does not relate mortality to the behavior as mentioned in the option.
E) So what? Higher body fat does not indicate the mortality rate of dolphin calves.
- Each year red-winged blackbirds stop in a certain region of Midland Province on…
- From 1980 to 1989, total consumption of fish in the country of Jurania increased by 4.5 percent, and total consumption of poultry products there increased by 9.0 percent..
- As the honeybee ’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging…
- At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation…
- According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American…