Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered numerous detailed mosaics depicting several readily identifiable animal species: a hare, a partridge, and various Mediterranean fish. Oddly, most of the species represented did not live in the Sepphoris region when these mosaics were created. Since identical motifs appear in mosaics found in other Roman cities, however, the mosaics of Sepphoris were very likely created by traveling artisans from some other part of the Roman Empire.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
The Sepphoris mosaics are not composed exclusively of types of stones found naturally in the Sepphoris area
There is no single region to which all the species depicted in the Sepphoris mosaics are native
No motifs appear in the Sepphoris mosaics that do not also appear in the mosaics of some other Roman city
All of the animal figures in the Sepphoris mosaics are readily identifiable as representation of known species
There was not a common repertory of mosaic designs with which artisans who lived in various parts of the Roman empire were familiar
Option E is the correct answer.
Question type: Find the assumption.
Summary of the argument: Since the designs found in the Sepphoris region were also found in other areas, the argument goes onto assume that the traveler designers were the ones who created them.
A) Stones are not the matter of concern here.
B) The concern is about the design found on the mosaic. Not the native of the stones.
C) This weakens the conclusion.
D) This doesn’t suffice the argument’s assumptions to say that the travelers were the one who made the design.
E) Correct Answer
- From 1980 to 1989, total consumption of fish in the country of Jurania increased by 4.5 percent, and total consumption of poultry products there increased by 9.0 percent..
- Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising…
- Aroca County’s public schools are supported primarily by taxes on the property. The county…
- Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search for the genuine and the delicious in Florentine…
- Kernland imposes a high tariff on the export of unprocessed cashew nuts in…