Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts became the first state in which more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than under it.
than they were
than there had been
than had been born
Option A is the correct answer.
Concept tested: Comparisons, Tenses, Pronouns.
A) Correct Answer
B) The word “born” in the option seems to refer to babies. We should be comparing women.
C) Inappropriate usage of the word “they” as it has no clear antecedent.
D) Inappropriate usage of the past perfect tense; “had been”
E) Same as D.
- Fossils of a whale that beached on an African shore more than a million years ago and…
- The town of Enderton is located in an area where forest fires are quite common. During dry periods and periods of persistent winds…
- The Earth’s rivers constantly carry dissolved salts into its oceans. Clearly, therefore, by taking…
- The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year-round, and a group of…
- Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low ethics of campaign…