Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts became the first state in which more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than under it.
than they were
than there had been
than had been born
Option A is the correct answer.
Concept tested: Comparisons, Tenses, Pronouns.
A) Correct Answer
B) The word “born” in the option seems to refer to babies. We should be comparing women.
C) Inappropriate usage of the word “they” as it has no clear antecedent.
D) Inappropriate usage of the past perfect tense; “had been”
E) Same as D.
- In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from the territorial waters of the country of Belukia. Soon after…
- A Swiss government panel recommended that the country sell about half its gold reserves and this…
- The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years. This decline…
- Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—less than those killed…
- Whales originated in the freshwater lakes and rivers of ancient Asia about sixty million years ago…