Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Radio stations with radio data system (RDS) technology broadcast special program information that only radios with an RDS feature can receive. Between 1994 and 1996, the number of RDS radio stations in Verdland increased from 250 to 600. However, since the number of RDS-equipped radios in Verdland was about the same in 1996 as in 1994, the number of Verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
Few if any of the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1994 broadcast to people with RDS-equipped radios living in areas not previously reached by RDS stations.
In 1996 most Verdlanders who lived within the listening area of an RDS station already had a radio equipped to receive RDS.
Equipping a radio station with RDS technology does not decrease the station’s listening area.
In 1996 Verlanders who did not own radios equipped to receive RDS could not receive any programming from the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1994.
The RDS radio stations in Verdland in 1996 did not all offer the same type of programming.
Option A is the correct answer.
Question type: Find the assumption.
Summary of the argument: Since the number of radios with RDS did not increase but the number of programs using RDS increased, the argument goes onto conclude that the people who heard the RDS programs were very less.
A) Correct Answer
B) This could still be a small number. This doesn’t relate the two terms in the argument.
C) We are not worried about a station’s listening area.
D) Not relevant to the scope of the argument.
E) We are not worried about the type of programming.
- Currently 26 billion barrels a year, world consumption of oil is rising at a rate of 2 percent annually.
- An advertising agency must leave its office building. To save overhead costs, it is considering setting…
- A medieval manuscript called L contains all eighteen extant tragedies by the Greek playwright Euripides. Of these, ten called the…
- Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered…
- Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially fatal; consequently, patients with symptoms strongly suggesting appendicitis almost have their…