Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity, yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality. The proportion of free oleic acid that olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity.
If the statements above are all true, which of the following conclusions is best supported by them?
When olive oil is refined, the concentration of oleic acid in the oil is reduced.
The quality of an unrefined olive oil can be determined only by accurately measuring its acidity.
If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality.
Free oleic acid is the only acid that unrefined olive oil contains.
People who judge the quality of unrefined olive oils actually judge those oils by their acidity, which the judges can taste.
Option C is the correct answer.
Question type: Inference based
Summary of the argument: Since this is an inference question we will need to go to the argument to find out something that is 100% true based on the information given to us.
A) There is no information to support the fact that when X happens Y also happens.
B) This is an extreme answer. We do not know whether that is the only way.
C) Correct Answer
D) Again, this is an extreme answer choice.
E) No information to support this.
- Mel: The official salary for judges has always been too low to attract the best Candidates to the job. The legislature’s move to raise…
- Unlike the short flights of the shuttle and earlier spacecraft, which carried sufficient power in fuel cells and…
- People who have spent a lot of time in contact with animals often develop animal-induced allergies, some of them quite serious…
- Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low ethics of campaign…
- By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country’s..