Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
FastMart, a convenience store chain, is planning to add pancake syrup to the items it sells. FastMart stores do not have shelf space to stock more than one variety of syrup. Surveys of FastMart customers indicate that one-fourth of them prefer low-calorie syrup, while three-fourths prefer regular syrup. Since FastMart’s highest priority is to maximize sales, the obvious strategy for it is to stock regular syrup.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
People buying pancake syrup at convenience stores, unlike those buying it at supermarkets, generally buy it only a few times.
People who prefer low-calorie syrup generally use about the same amount of syrup on their pancakes as those who prefer regular syrup.
Regular syrup does not sell for a higher price per unit than low-calorie syrup.
In general, customers who prefer regular syrup will buy low-calorie syrup if regular is unavailable, but those who prefer low-calorie will not buy regular syrup.
Sales of syrup are not expected to account for a large proportion of total dollar sales at the average FastMart store.
Option D is the correct answer.
Question type: Weakens the argument
A) We are not worried about the number of times people will buy the syrup. The worry is about whether people will buy it or not.
B) Same as A. We are not worried about the amount of sugar being used.
C) We are worried about the sales. Not about the price per unit.
D) Correct Answer
E) This is a generalized answer choice. We should be talking about specific types of syrup.
- At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation…
- That the application of new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia’s coal industry. Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.
- Two centuries ago, Tufe Peninsula became separated from the mainland, isolating on the newly formed Tufe Island a population of Turfil sunflowers..
- That twenty-one ceramic dog figurines were discovered during the excavating of a 1,000- year-old…
- Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded…