Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
FastMart, a convenience store chain, is planning to add pancake syrup to the items it sells. FastMart stores do not have shelf space to stock more than one variety of syrup. Surveys of FastMart customers indicate that one-fourth of them prefer low-calorie syrup, while three-fourths prefer regular syrup. Since FastMart’s highest priority is to maximize sales, the obvious strategy for it is to stock regular syrup.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?
People buying pancake syrup at convenience stores, unlike those buying it at supermarkets, generally buy it only a few times.
People who prefer low-calorie syrup generally use about the same amount of syrup on their pancakes as those who prefer regular syrup.
Regular syrup does not sell for a higher price per unit than low-calorie syrup.
In general, customers who prefer regular syrup will buy low-calorie syrup if regular is unavailable, but those who prefer low-calorie will not buy regular syrup.
Sales of syrup are not expected to account for a large proportion of total dollar sales at the average FastMart store.
Option D is the correct answer.
Question type: Weakens the argument
A) We are not worried about the number of times people will buy the syrup. The worry is about whether people will buy it or not.
B) Same as A. We are not worried about the amount of sugar being used.
C) We are worried about the sales. Not about the price per unit.
D) Correct Answer
E) This is a generalized answer choice. We should be talking about specific types of syrup.
- Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low ethics of campaign…
- According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more…
- Electronic computer chips made of tiny silicon wafers now regularly contain millions of electronic…
- The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often…
- In polluted environments, dolphins gradually accumulated toxins in their body fat, and the…