Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.
their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging
in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which Ranges
Option E is the right answer.
A) Suggestion should be followed by the bossy verb. Usage of just ‘be’ rather than ‘should be’ is the correct way. Usage of “as” is incorrect. “As” is used in the same sense as “because”. It implies a cause-and-effect relationship – Not logical.
B) Usage of “being” is incorrect. “by her suggestion of drunkenness being …” – ” being” serves as a modifier. The sentence nonsensically implies that she scandalized many people by her suggestion of “drunkenness”. Usage of ” as”is incorrect.
C) “in being” is incorrect. Removing this phrase does not change the meaning of the sentence – hence, redundant. Usage of past perfect – had scandalized – is incorrect, as we are referring to a specific time period 1852-53. “scandalized most of her supporters with the suggestion of drunkenness + Modifier” – is nonsense. Note that ” being” is used as a modifier.
D) Sentence reduces to Elizabeth Candy Stanton … she scandalized. This is an incorrect construction
E) Correct Answer. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which Ranges
- Not only did the systematic clearing of forests in the United States create farmland…
- Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape…
- As the honeybee ’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging…
- In Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which…
- Aroca County’s public schools are supported primarily by taxes on the property. The county…