Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
By merging its two publishing divisions, the company will increase their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging from obscure textbooks to mass-market paperbacks.
their share of the country’s $21 billion book market from 6 percent to 10 percent, a market ranging
from 6 percent to 10 percent its share of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
to 10 percent from 6 percent in their share of the $21 billion book market in the country, a market ranging
in its share, from 6 percent to 10 percent, of the $21 billion book market in the country, which ranges
to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which Ranges
Option E is the right answer.
A) Suggestion should be followed by the bossy verb. Usage of just ‘be’ rather than ‘should be’ is the correct way. Usage of “as” is incorrect. “As” is used in the same sense as “because”. It implies a cause-and-effect relationship – Not logical.
B) Usage of “being” is incorrect. “by her suggestion of drunkenness being …” – ” being” serves as a modifier. The sentence nonsensically implies that she scandalized many people by her suggestion of “drunkenness”. Usage of ” as”is incorrect.
C) “in being” is incorrect. Removing this phrase does not change the meaning of the sentence – hence, redundant. Usage of past perfect – had scandalized – is incorrect, as we are referring to a specific time period 1852-53. “scandalized most of her supporters with the suggestion of drunkenness + Modifier” – is nonsense. Note that ” being” is used as a modifier.
D) Sentence reduces to Elizabeth Candy Stanton … she scandalized. This is an incorrect construction
E) Correct Answer. to 10 percent from 6 percent its share of the country’s $21 billion book market, which Ranges
- In one state, all cities and most towns have antismoking ordinances. A petition entitled “Petition for Statewide Smoking Restriction” is…
- Socially and environmentally responsible investing is on the rise: last year in the United States, over…
- According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts became the first state in which more…
- The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often…
- Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil samples from Canada’s…