Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
People who have spent a lot of time in contact with animals often develop animal-induced allergies, some of them quite serious. In a survey of current employees in major zoos, about 30 percent had animal-induced allergies. Based on this sample, experts conclude that among members of the general population who have spent a similarly large amount of time in close contact with animals, the percentage with animal-induced allergies is not 30 percent but substantially more.
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds for the experts’ conclusion?
A zoo employee who develops a serious animal-induced allergy is very likely to switch to some other occupation.
A zoo employee is more likely than a person in the general population to keep one or more animal pets at home
The percentage of the general population whose level of exposure to animals matches that of a zoo employee is quite small.
Exposure to domestic pets is, on the whole, less likely to cause animal induced allergy than exposure to many of the animals kept in zoos.
Zoo employees seldom wear protective gear when they handle animals in their care.
Option A is the correct answer.
Question type: Strengthen the Conclusion
Summary of the argument: Since 30% of people working in the zoo have animal-induced allergies, the argument concludes that more than 30% of the general population will have animal-induced allergies.
A) Correct Answer
B) The likelihood of a person possessing a pet doesn’t really talk about the percentage of people having animal-induced injuries.
C) This doesn’t contribute to the logic of why 30% have animal-induced injuries.
D) We don’t know this.
E) This doesn’t contribute to the logic of the argument saying 30% of people have animal-induced injuries.
- TrueSave is a mail-order company that ships electronic products from its warehouses to…
- Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made…
- Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered…
- Today’s technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time…
- A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.