Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
People who have spent a lot of time in contact with animals often develop animal-induced allergies, some of them quite serious. In a survey of current employees in major zoos, about 30 percent had animal-induced allergies. Based on this sample, experts conclude that among members of the general population who have spent a similarly large amount of time in close contact with animals, the percentage with animal-induced allergies is not 30 percent but substantially more.
Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest grounds for the experts’ conclusion?
A zoo employee who develops a serious animal-induced allergy is very likely to switch to some other occupation.
A zoo employee is more likely than a person in the general population to keep one or more animal pets at home
The percentage of the general population whose level of exposure to animals matches that of a zoo employee is quite small.
Exposure to domestic pets is, on the whole, less likely to cause animal induced allergy than exposure to many of the animals kept in zoos.
Zoo employees seldom wear protective gear when they handle animals in their care.
Option A is the correct answer.
Question type: Strengthen the Conclusion
Summary of the argument: Since 30% of people working in the zoo have animal-induced allergies, the argument concludes that more than 30% of the general population will have animal-induced allergies.
A) Correct Answer
B) The likelihood of a person possessing a pet doesn’t really talk about the percentage of people having animal-induced injuries.
C) This doesn’t contribute to the logic of why 30% have animal-induced injuries.
D) We don’t know this.
E) This doesn’t contribute to the logic of the argument saying 30% of people have animal-induced injuries.
- In California today, Hispanics under the age of eighteen account for more than 43 percent, compared with a decade ago, when it…
- At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation…
- The first commercially successful drama to depict Black family life sympathetically and the first play by a Black woman to be…
- From 1980 to 1989, total consumption of fish in the country of Jurania increased by 4.5 percent, and total consumption of poultry products there increased by 9.0 percent..
- Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered…