Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?
Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix) is potentially fatal; consequently, patients with symptoms strongly suggesting appendicitis almost have their appendix removed. The appropriate surgery is low- risk but performed unnecessarily in about 20 percent of all cases. A newly developed internal scan for appendicitis is highly accurate, producing two misdiagnoses for every 98 correct diagnoses. Clearly, using this test, doctors can largely avoid unnecessary removals of the appendix without, however, performing any fewer necessary ones than before, since
the patients who are correctly diagnosed with this test as not having appendicitis invariably have medical conditions that are much less serious than appendicitis
the misdiagnoses produced by this test are always instances of attributing appendicitis to someone who does not, in fact, have it
all of the patients who are diagnosed with this test as having appendicitis do, in fact, have appendicitis
every patient who is diagnosed with this test as having appendicitis has more than one of the symptoms generally associated with appendicitis
the only patients who are misdiagnosed using this test are patients who lack one or more of the symptoms that are generally associated with appendicitis
Option B is the correct answer.
Question type: Inference based.
Summary of the argument: Since this is an inference question, you will need to jump to the options and find an answer choice that is 100% true based on the facts given.
A) There is no information in the argument that talks about other conditions than appendicitis.
B) Correct Answer
C) This is not true as the argument clearly states that 2 cases are misdiagnosed.
D) We don’t have information about the other symptoms.
E) No information about symptoms.
- Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals…
- In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from the territorial waters of the country of Belukia. Soon after…
- Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape…
- Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search for the genuine and the delicious in Florentine…
- Whales originated in the freshwater lakes and rivers of ancient Asia about sixty million years ago…