Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
A car traveling at a certain constant speed takes 2 seconds longer to travel 1 kilometer than it would take to travel 1 kilometer at 75 kilometers per hour. At what speed, in kilometers per hour, is the car traveling?
Option B is the correct answer.
75 kilometers per hour is the same as 75 kilometers per 60 minutes….
75/60 = 5/4 = 5 kilometers every 4 minutes
This means that every 1 kilometer takes 4/5 minutes = 48 seconds
We’re then asked to add 2 seconds to this and calculate the speed. 48 + 2 = 50 seconds
To find the speed, we can use a ratio (50 seconds = 5/6 minutes):
5/6 = 60 min/X kph
Cross multiply the ratio: 5X = 360
X = 72 kph
- The median length of the 13 logs in shipment x was 84 inches, and the median length of the 21 logs in shipment…
- Which of the following is an integer?
- The outside of the rectangular box represented in the figure above is to be decorated by attaching pieces of…
- Of the cans of peaches inspected yesterday at a certain plant, 1.5 percent failed to pass inspection. Of…
- If 175 billion French francs is equivalent to 35 billion United States dollars, which of the following…