Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
A car traveling at a certain constant speed takes 2 seconds longer to travel 1 kilometer than it would take to travel 1 kilometer at 75 kilometers per hour. At what speed, in kilometers per hour, is the car traveling?
Option B is the correct answer.
75 kilometers per hour is the same as 75 kilometers per 60 minutes….
75/60 = 5/4 = 5 kilometers every 4 minutes
This means that every 1 kilometer takes 4/5 minutes = 48 seconds
We’re then asked to add 2 seconds to this and calculate the speed. 48 + 2 = 50 seconds
To find the speed, we can use a ratio (50 seconds = 5/6 minutes):
5/6 = 60 min/X kph
Cross multiply the ratio: 5X = 360
X = 72 kph
- A certain farmer pays $30 per acre per month to rent farmland. How much does the farmer pay per month to rent a rectangular plot of farmland that is 360 feet by 605 feet? (43560 square feet = 1 acre)
- If v = √(2(9.8))m/0.5j), m = 96, and j = 49,which of the following most closely approximates the value of v?
- At a certain committee meeting only associate professors and assistant professors are present…
- What is the circumference of circular region R?
- Of the 500 business people surveyed, 78 percent said that they use their laptop computers at home…