Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
A car traveling at a certain constant speed takes 2 seconds longer to travel 1 kilometer than it would take to travel 1 kilometer at 75 kilometers per hour. At what speed, in kilometers per hour, is the car traveling?
Option B is the correct answer.
75 kilometers per hour is the same as 75 kilometers per 60 minutes….
75/60 = 5/4 = 5 kilometers every 4 minutes
This means that every 1 kilometer takes 4/5 minutes = 48 seconds
We’re then asked to add 2 seconds to this and calculate the speed. 48 + 2 = 50 seconds
To find the speed, we can use a ratio (50 seconds = 5/6 minutes):
5/6 = 60 min/X kph
Cross multiply the ratio: 5X = 360
X = 72 kph
- If x^2 = y^2, is true that x>0?
- Larissa and Steve each drove the same distance from City X to City Y in separate cars. Did it take longer for…
- If v = √(2(9.8))m/0.5j), m = 96, and j = 49,which of the following most closely approximates the value of v?
- The cost of a certain phone call was $0.75 for the first 3 minutes and $0.20 for each additional minute…
- At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home office once every 30 days, and junior sales…