Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
A car traveling at a certain constant speed takes 2 seconds longer to travel 1 kilometer than it would take to travel 1 kilometer at 75 kilometers per hour. At what speed, in kilometers per hour, is the car traveling?
Option B is the correct answer.
75 kilometers per hour is the same as 75 kilometers per 60 minutes….
75/60 = 5/4 = 5 kilometers every 4 minutes
This means that every 1 kilometer takes 4/5 minutes = 48 seconds
We’re then asked to add 2 seconds to this and calculate the speed. 48 + 2 = 50 seconds
To find the speed, we can use a ratio (50 seconds = 5/6 minutes):
5/6 = 60 min/X kph
Cross multiply the ratio: 5X = 360
X = 72 kph
- What is the value of expression x(x-2)^3 when x = -1?
- If k is negative, which of the following must also be negative?
- The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersection of three straight roads, each having…
- In the xy-plane, does the line L intersect the graph of y = x^2
- 6.2 is what percent of 1000?