Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
During an experiment, the temperature of a liquid was measured several times. The temperatures, in degree Celsius, listed in increasing order, are 21, 25, x, 40 and 50. If the arithmetic mean of these temperatures is equal to the median, what is the value of x?
Option A is the correct answer.
Given that Average = Median
Median is the middle most term in the ordered list
Average = total / number of things
(136+x)/5 = x
136+x = 5x
4x = 136
x = 34
- Of the 500 business people surveyed, 78 percent said that they use their laptop computers at home…
- 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon, 4 tablespoons = 1/4 cup. According to the information above, how many teaspoons are equal to 3/8 cup?
- If T is a list of consecutive integers in increasing order, what is the sum of integers in T?
- If Henry were to add 5 gallons of water to a tank that is already 3/4 full of water, the tank would…
- If x is a nonzero number, which of the three numbers x, 1/x and x^2 is greatest?