Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
During an experiment, the temperature of a liquid was measured several times. The temperatures, in degree Celsius, listed in increasing order, are 21, 25, x, 40 and 50. If the arithmetic mean of these temperatures is equal to the median, what is the value of x?
Option A is the correct answer.
Given that Average = Median
Median is the middle most term in the ordered list
Average = total / number of things
(136+x)/5 = x
136+x = 5x
4x = 136
x = 34
- P, Q, R and S are points on the number line in that order. If the distance from P to S is 10, what is the…
- What is the value of 6^x*6^y ?
- At the end of each year, the value of a certain antique watch is “c” percent more than its value one…
- Which of the following fractions has the greatest value?
- In a particular machine, there are 2 gears that interlock; one gear is larger in circumference than the…