Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
During an experiment, the temperature of a liquid was measured several times. The temperatures, in degree Celsius, listed in increasing order, are 21, 25, x, 40 and 50. If the arithmetic mean of these temperatures is equal to the median, what is the value of x?
Option A is the correct answer.
Given that Average = Median
Median is the middle most term in the ordered list
Average = total / number of things
(136+x)/5 = x
136+x = 5x
4x = 136
x = 34
- A certain computer program generates a sequence of numbers a1, a2, … , an such that a1 = a2 = 1…
- Of the cans of peaches inspected yesterday at a certain plant, 1.5 percent failed to pass inspection. Of…
- At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home office once every 30 days, and junior sales…
- A certain farmer pays $30 per acre per month to rent farmland. How much does the farmer pay per month to rent a rectangular plot of farmland that is 360 feet by 605 feet? (43560 square feet = 1 acre)
- If 0 < x < 2, which of the following must be greatest?