Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Kay began a certain game with x chips. On each of the next two plays, she lost one more than half the number of chips she had at the beginning of that play. If she had 5 chips remaining after her two plays, then x is in the interval:
Option D is the correct answer.
On the first play she lost (x/2)+1 chips and she was left with x−((x/2)+1)=(x−2)/2 chips.
On the second play she lost ((x−2)/4)+1 chips.
So, we have that x−((x/2)+1)−((x−2)/4)+1))=5 –> x=26.
- If set B is a subset of Set A, how many elements are in set A?
- To raise funds, a racing team sold T-shirts imprinted with the team’s logo. The team paid their supplier a…
- Of the 3,600 employees of Company X, 1/3 are clerical. If the clerical staff were to be reduced…
- At a certain committee meeting only associate professors and assistant professors are present…
- If x is a nonzero number, which of the three numbers x, 1/x and x^2 is greatest?