Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Kay began a certain game with x chips. On each of the next two plays, she lost one more than half the number of chips she had at the beginning of that play. If she had 5 chips remaining after her two plays, then x is in the interval:
Option D is the correct answer.
On the first play she lost (x/2)+1 chips and she was left with x−((x/2)+1)=(x−2)/2 chips.
On the second play she lost ((x−2)/4)+1 chips.
So, we have that x−((x/2)+1)−((x−2)/4)+1))=5 –> x=26.
- Is the product of a positive integer and a negative integer is less than -10 ?
- If (2^x) (2^y) = 8 and (9^x)(3^y) = 81, then (x,y) equals:
- Which of the following is an integer?
- If each customer at the outdoor movie last night came in a car, what was the number of cars in which…
- In a certain downtown office, 40 percent of the workers are men and 60 percent are women…