Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
An advertising agency must leave its office building. To save overhead costs, it is considering setting up a “virtual office” instead of moving to an adjacent office building. Employees will do their work on computers, as they do now, but will do so at home, sharing their work with colleagues by communicating text and designs to colleagues’ computers through telephone lines, receiving typed comments, and then revising the work until it is satisfactory.
Which of the following, if true, indicates a disadvantage of the virtual office plan?
The agency can move its computers and associated equipment into employees’ homes without purchasing any new equipment or requiring employees to purchase such equipment.
To reach the current office building and return home, employees spend an average of one and a half hours per day commuting, usually in heavy traffic.
The employees of the advertising agency are accustomed to autonomy in monitoring their own progress and productivity.
Employees would be able to adapt quickly to using computers in a virtual office setting, since employees’ current use of computers to produce designs requires a high level of skill.
Expressions and gestures in face-to-face exchanges are an important aid to employees in gauging the viability of new ideas they have proposed.
Option E is the correct answer.
Question type: Weaken the argument
Summary of the argument: The plan is to move to a virtual office design than moving to another office building. This is done in order to save costs.
A) This strengthens the argument as this option indicates that it’s easy to set up a virtual office.
B) This also tells why moving to a virtual office is useful.
C) Irrelevant. We are not worried to what the employees are accustomed to .
D) This tells that it is easy to move to a virtual office because it is easy to adapt to computers here.
E) Correct Answer
- A manufacturer of workstations for computer-aided design seeks to increase sales to its most important…
- FastMart, a convenience store chain, is planning to add pancake syrup to the items it sells..
- In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from the territorial waters of the country of Belukia. Soon after…
- The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years. This decline…
- Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made…