Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
A circular mat with diameter 20 inches is placed on a square tabletop, each of whose sides is 24 inches long. Which of the following is closest to the fraction of the tabletop covered by the mat?
Option C is the correct answer.
Area of circle=πr^2=π10^2 ≈ 314 (d=20 –> r=10);
Area of square= (24)^2=576;
Area of circle/ area of square=314/576=157/288.
Now this fraction is obviously between 1/2 and 3/4 –> 1/2=144/288 and 3/4=216/288 — > 157 is closer to 144 than to 216.
- Each vote in a certain election went to one of the two candidates, x or y. Candidate X received 624 votes…
- The total amount that John paid at a certain restaurant consisted of the price of the meal, the tax…
- In a particular machine, there are 2 gears that interlock; one gear is larger in circumference than the…
- If r is an integer, what is the value of 3^(2r)/ 27^(r-1)?
- All of the 540 people who attended an education convention were either teachers or administrators. There…