Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil samples from Canada’s Kodlunarn Island examined for gold content. Because high gold content was reported, Elizabeth I funded two mining expeditions. Neither expedition found any gold there. Modern analysis of the island’s soil indicates a very low gold content. Thus the methods used to determine the gold content of Frobisher’s samples must have been inaccurate.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
The gold content of the soil on Kodlunarn Island is much lower today than it was in the sixteenth century.
The two mining expeditions funded by Elizabeth I did not mine the same part of Kodlunarn Island.
The methods used to assess the gold content of the soil samples provided by Frobisher were different from those generally used in the sixteenth century.
Frobisher did not have soil samples from any other Canadian island examined for gold content.
Gold was not added to the soil samples collected by Frobisher before the samples were examined.
Option E is the right answer.
Question type: Find the assumption
Summary of the argument: Because of the inaccurate gold contents being indicated in the study conducted earlier and now, the argument comes to the conclusion that one of the methods is inaccurate.
A) This tells that the method is accurate – Hence weakens.
B) We are not worried about which part of the island is mined.
C) The methods, according to the option, were different. Doesn’t comment anything about the accuracy of the same.
D) We are not worried about other islands.
E) Correct Answer
- A recent poll found that over 80 percent of the residents of Nalmed Province favored a massive expansion…
- Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later in the United…
- The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity, yet extensive tests..
- Radio stations with radio data system (RDS) technology broadcast special program information that…
- Excavations of the Roman city of Sepphoris have uncovered numerous detailed mosaics depicting several…