Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
If k is negative, which of the following must also be negative?
Option E is the correct answer.
For MUST-BE questions, Plugging- In
Given k is negative, so let’s take k = -1.
Substitute in the answer choices.
A. (-k)^2 –> (-(-1))^2 = 1 – Positive – So eliminate.
B. (-1)k –> (-1)k = (-1)(-1) = 1 – Positive – So eliminate.
C. 1-k –> 1-k = 1-(-1) -2– Positive – So eliminate.
D. k+1 –> k+1 = -1+1 = 0 –Neither Positive or Negative – So eliminate.
E. k-1 –> k-1 = -1-1 = -2—Negative-So this is the answer.
- Larissa and Steve each drove the same distance from City X to City Y in separate cars. Did it take longer for…
- Which of the following is equivalent to ((a+b)/2)+ ((a-b)/3)?
- Which of the following fractions has the greatest value?
- A farmer who grows strawberries defines a “workday yield” as the number of litres of strawberries that…
- The total amount that John paid at a certain restaurant consisted of the price of the meal, the tax…