Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
If k is negative, which of the following must also be negative?
Option E is the correct answer.
For MUST-BE questions, Plugging- In
Given k is negative, so let’s take k = -1.
Substitute in the answer choices.
A. (-k)^2 –> (-(-1))^2 = 1 – Positive – So eliminate.
B. (-1)k –> (-1)k = (-1)(-1) = 1 – Positive – So eliminate.
C. 1-k –> 1-k = 1-(-1) -2– Positive – So eliminate.
D. k+1 –> k+1 = -1+1 = 0 –Neither Positive or Negative – So eliminate.
E. k-1 –> k-1 = -1-1 = -2—Negative-So this is the answer.
- 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon, 4 tablespoons = 1/4 cup. According to the information above, how many teaspoons are equal to 3/8 cup?
- A grocery store purchased crates of 40 oranges each for $5.00 per crate and then sold each orange for $0.20. What was the store’s gross profit on each crate of oranges?
- In a certain downtown office, 40 percent of the workers are men and 60 percent are women…
- The cost of a certain phone call was $0.75 for the first 3 minutes and $0.20 for each additional minute…
- Points P, R, M and S lie on the number line shown. The coordinate of R is 0. The distance between…