Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
If k is negative, which of the following must also be negative?
Option E is the correct answer.
For MUST-BE questions, Plugging- In
Given k is negative, so let’s take k = -1.
Substitute in the answer choices.
A. (-k)^2 –> (-(-1))^2 = 1 – Positive – So eliminate.
B. (-1)k –> (-1)k = (-1)(-1) = 1 – Positive – So eliminate.
C. 1-k –> 1-k = 1-(-1) -2– Positive – So eliminate.
D. k+1 –> k+1 = -1+1 = 0 –Neither Positive or Negative – So eliminate.
E. k-1 –> k-1 = -1-1 = -2—Negative-So this is the answer.
- If 0 < x < 2, which of the following must be greatest?
- A wholesaler bought 1,200 radios for $18 each. The wholesaler sold 60 percent of the radios for…
- If 2s > 8 and 3t < 9, which of the following could be the value of s-t?
- If set B is a subset of Set A, how many elements are in set A?
- If x^2 = y^2, is true that x>0?