Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
A recent poll found that over 80 percent of the residents of Nalmed Province favored a massive expansion of the commuter rail system as a means of significantly easing congestion on the province’s highways and were willing to help pay for the expansion through an increase in their taxes. Nevertheless, the poll results indicate that expansion of the rail system, if successfully completed, would be unlikely to achieve its goal of easing congestion, because
most people in favor of expanding the rail system reported less congestion during their highway commute as the primary benefit they would experience.
of the less than 20 percent of residents not counted as favoring the expansion, about half claimed to have no opinion one way or the other.
the twice-daily periods of peak congestion caused by people commuting in cars have grown from about an hour each to almost two and a half hours each in the past 20 years.
expanding the commuter rail system will require the construction of dozens of miles of new railbed.
the proposed expansion to the commuter rail system will make it possible for some people who both live and work at suburban locations to commute by rail.
Option A is the correct answer.
Question type: Inference based question
Summary of the argument: Since this is an inference question, it is best to jump to the options and choose one that is 100% true based on the facts given.
A) Correct Answer
B) This is about the minority of the population. Hence difficult to infer from the information given.
C) No information about the congestion due to cars.
D) No information about the raw material required for construction.
E)Doesn’t contribute to the logic of why the plan wouldn’t help achieve the goal.
- Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil samples from Canada’s…
- Soaring television costs accounted for more than half the spending in the presidential campaign of 1992, a greater proportion than it was in any previous election.
- In an effort to reduce the number of fires started by cigarettes, a major tobacco company is test- marketing a…
- People who have spent a lot of time in contact with animals often develop animal-induced allergies, some of them quite serious…
- Three large companies and seven small companies currently manufacture a product with potential military applications..