Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
A new commercial radio station in Greenfield plans to play songs that were popular hits fifteen to twenty-five years ago. It hopes in this way to attract an audience made up mainly of people between thirty-five and forty-five years old and thereby to have a strong market appeal to advertisers.
Each of the following, if true, strengthens the prospects that the radio station’s plan will succeed EXCEPT:
People tend to remain very fond of the music that they heard when they were in their teens and early twenties.
In a number of cities demographically similar to Greenfield, radio stations that play recordings of popular music from fifteen to twenty-five years ago have succeeded commercially.
People in the thirty-five- to forty-five-year-old age group are more likely to listen to the radio for news than for music.
The thirty-five- to forty-five-year-old age group is one in which people tend to have comparatively high levels of income and are involved in making household purchases.
Among the few radio stations in the Greenfield area, there is none that plays music from this particular period for more than a few hours per week.
Option C is the correct answer.
Question type: Strengthen the argument – EXCEPT
Summary of the argument: The plan is to have a strong market appeal to advertisers by playing old songs to attract people of a specific age group.
A) This strengthens the argument and gives more scope to the argument to show that people of that age group will listen to the radio station.
B) This also gives more evidence to show that the plan will work as it has worked in other cities of similar population.
C) Correct Answer
D) This tells why the advertisement campaign will work.
E) This also tells why the plan of the Greenfield radio station will work.
- Aroca County’s public schools are supported primarily by taxes on the property. The county…
- People with a certain eye disorder are virtually unable to see in moderately bright light, which seems to them unbearably intense since..
- In archaeology, there must be a balance between explanation of the value and workings of archaeology…
- The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity, yet extensive tests..
- From 1980 to 1989, total consumption of fish in the country of Jurania increased by 4.5 percent, and total consumption of poultry products there increased by 9.0 percent..