Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
At a certain committee meeting only associate professors and assistant professors are present. Each associate professor has brought 2 pencils and 1 chart to the meeting, while each assistant professor has brought 1 pencil and 2 charts. If a total of 10 pencils and 11 charts have been brought to the meeting, how many people are present?
Option B is the correct answer.
Say there are ‘A’ associate professors.
So we have 2 A pencils and A charts.
Say there are ‘B’ assistant professors.
So we have B pencils and 2 B charts.
Total pencils are 10
so 2A + B = 10
Total charts are 11
so A + 2B = 11
Add both: 3A + 3B = 21
so A + B = 7
Total number of people = 7
- If a town of 25,000 people is growing at a rate of approximately 1 percent per year, the population of the…
- If x^2 = y^2, is true that x>0?
- How many litres of apple juice were added to the cranberry juice in a certain container?
- A clothing store’s revenue last May was 6 percent less than its revenue last April. The store’s revenue last May…
- P, Q, R and S are points on the number line in that order. If the distance from P to S is 10, what is the…