Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
At a certain committee meeting only associate professors and assistant professors are present. Each associate professor has brought 2 pencils and 1 chart to the meeting, while each assistant professor has brought 1 pencil and 2 charts. If a total of 10 pencils and 11 charts have been brought to the meeting, how many people are present?
Option B is the correct answer.
Say there are ‘A’ associate professors.
So we have 2 A pencils and A charts.
Say there are ‘B’ assistant professors.
So we have B pencils and 2 B charts.
Total pencils are 10
so 2A + B = 10
Total charts are 11
so A + 2B = 11
Add both: 3A + 3B = 21
so A + B = 7
Total number of people = 7
- In a certain downtown office, 40 percent of the workers are men and 60 percent are women…
- A grocery store purchased crates of 40 oranges each for $5.00 per crate and then sold each orange for $0.20. What was the store’s gross profit on each crate of oranges?
- A certain farmer pays $30 per acre per month to rent farmland. How much does the farmer pay per month to rent a rectangular plot of farmland that is 360 feet by 605 feet? (43560 square feet = 1 acre)
- At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home office once every 30 days, and junior sales…
- If T is a list of consecutive integers in increasing order, what is the sum of integers in T?