Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
At a certain committee meeting only associate professors and assistant professors are present. Each associate professor has brought 2 pencils and 1 chart to the meeting, while each assistant professor has brought 1 pencil and 2 charts. If a total of 10 pencils and 11 charts have been brought to the meeting, how many people are present?
Option B is the correct answer.
Say there are ‘A’ associate professors.
So we have 2 A pencils and A charts.
Say there are ‘B’ assistant professors.
So we have B pencils and 2 B charts.
Total pencils are 10
so 2A + B = 10
Total charts are 11
so A + 2B = 11
Add both: 3A + 3B = 21
so A + B = 7
Total number of people = 7
- 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon, 4 tablespoons = 1/4 cup. According to the information above, how many teaspoons are equal to 3/8 cup?
- The figure above represents a rectangular garden bordered by a walk away that has a uniform width…
- The integers q,r,s,t and u are positive. If t >q , u > r, s >t, and r > s, what is the median of the five integers?
- A farmer who grows strawberries defines a “workday yield” as the number of litres of strawberries that…
- In a particular machine, there are 2 gears that interlock; one gear is larger in circumference than the…