Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
When drive-ins were at the height of their popularity in the late 1950’s, some 4,000 existed in the United States, but today there are less than one-quarter that many.
there are less than one-quarter that many
there are fewer than one-quarter as many
there are fewer than one-quarter of that amount
the number is less than one-quarter the amount
it is less than one-quarter of that amount
Option B is the correct answer.
Concept tested: Comparisons, Modifiers
A) Inappropriate usage of the word “less” – The same cannot be used with “one-quarter”
B) Correct answer
C) Inappropriate usage of the word “fewer” with “amount”
D) Same as A.
E) Same as A.
- Birds known as honey guides exhibit a unique pattern of behavior: the bird leads another animal, such as a…
- A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO’s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.
- In Berinia, the age at which people could begin to drink alcohol legally used to be 18. In 1990, in an attempt to reduce alcohol…
- Tourists have long complained that hotel accommodations in Midville are too expensive. Starting last year, the city council, hoping to attract…
- People with a certain eye disorder are virtually unable to see in moderately bright light, which seems to them unbearably intense since..