Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
The total market value of real estate in Altonville has steadily declined over the past four years. This decline has meant that the overall figure on which the city’s property tax is based—the assessed value of that real estate—has also declined. Moreover, the percentage of assessed value that was paid as property taxes to the city did not change during this period.
The information above most strongly supports which of the following?
Money collected from property taxes provided most of Altonville’s revenue during the past four years.
The percentage of Altonville’s overall revenue that was collected from property taxes did not change over the past four years.
Altonville officials had proposed raising property tax rates during the past four years but never did so because of strong opposition from property owners.
The total amount of revenue that Altonville has collected from property taxes has declined over the past four years.
During the past four years, Altonville officials also did not increase tax rates on other sources of revenue such as retail sales or business profits.
Option D is the correct answer.
Question type: Inference based
Summary of the argument: Since this is an inference question, we need to jump to the options and find out one that is 100% true.
A) We don’t have information to support the money collected.
B) No information to support this option.
C) We don’t have information to support the raise.
D) Correct Answer
E) No information about other sources of revenue.
- Electronic computer chips made of tiny silicon wafers now regularly contain millions of electronic…
- Each year red-winged blackbirds stop in a certain region of Midland Province on…
- Mayor: Migrating shorebirds stop at our beach just to feed on horseshoe-crab eggs..
- An advertising agency must leave its office building. To save overhead costs, it is considering setting…
- Frobisher, a sixteenth-century English explorer, had soil samples from Canada’s…