Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Sonya: The government of Copeland is raising the cigarette tax. Copeland’s cigarette prices will still be reasonably low, so cigarette consumption will probably not be affected much. Consequently, government revenue from the tax will increase.
Raoul: True, smoking is unlikely to decrease, because Copeland’s cigarette prices will still not be high. They will, however, no longer be the lowest in the region, so we might begin to see substantial illegal sales of smuggled cigarettes in Copeland.
Raoul responds to Sonya’s argument by doing which of the following?
Questioning the support for Sonya’s conclusion by distinguishing carefully between No change and no decrease
calling Sonya’s conclusion into question by pointing to a possible effect of a certain change.
Arguing that Sonya’s conclusion would be better supported if Sonya could cite a precedent for what she predicts will happen.
showing that a cause that Sonya claims will be producing a certain effect is not the only cause that could produce that effect
pointing out that a certain initiative is not bold enough to have the effects she predicts it will have
Option B is the correct answer.
Question type : Structure based question.
Summary of the argument: Raoul agrees to the main intent of Sonya’s argument. However he points out a slight negative effect that could potentially result because of the change that Sonya foresees to happen.
A) Raoul doesn’t talk about the difference between No change and no decrease.
B) Correct Answer
C) Raoul doesn’t ask for another additional proof or evidence.
D) Raoul doesn’t talk about cause and effect.
E) Raoul doesn’t say that the initiative is not bold enough
- In one state, all cities and most towns have antismoking ordinances. A petition entitled “Petition for Statewide Smoking Restriction” is…
- In an effort to reduce the number of fires started by cigarettes, a major tobacco company is test- marketing a…
- Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape…
- Whales originated in the freshwater lakes and rivers of ancient Asia about sixty million years ago…
- Mel: The official salary for judges has always been too low to attract the best Candidates to the job. The legislature’s move to raise…