Get detailed explanations to advanced GMAT questions.
Sonya: The government of Copeland is raising the cigarette tax. Copeland’s cigarette prices will still be reasonably low, so cigarette consumption will probably not be affected much. Consequently, government revenue from the tax will increase.
Raoul: True, smoking is unlikely to decrease, because Copeland’s cigarette prices will still not be high. They will, however, no longer be the lowest in the region, so we might begin to see substantial illegal sales of smuggled cigarettes in Copeland.
Raoul responds to Sonya’s argument by doing which of the following?
Questioning the support for Sonya’s conclusion by distinguishing carefully between No change and no decrease
calling Sonya’s conclusion into question by pointing to a possible effect of a certain change.
Arguing that Sonya’s conclusion would be better supported if Sonya could cite a precedent for what she predicts will happen.
showing that a cause that Sonya claims will be producing a certain effect is not the only cause that could produce that effect
pointing out that a certain initiative is not bold enough to have the effects she predicts it will have
Option B is the correct answer.
Question type : Structure based question.
Summary of the argument: Raoul agrees to the main intent of Sonya’s argument. However he points out a slight negative effect that could potentially result because of the change that Sonya foresees to happen.
A) Raoul doesn’t talk about the difference between No change and no decrease.
B) Correct Answer
C) Raoul doesn’t ask for another additional proof or evidence.
D) Raoul doesn’t talk about cause and effect.
E) Raoul doesn’t say that the initiative is not bold enough
- Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later in the United…
- Soaring television costs accounted for more than half the spending in the presidential campaign of 1992, a greater proportion than it was in any previous election.
- Giuseppe Alessi, a world-class chef whose life has been a search for the genuine and the delicious in Florentine…
- In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico, leaking its cargo…
- Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals…